Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Annabelle


The wind wisps around my long, golden hair as I take a step out onto the frozen lake. It’s been awhile since I last visited this place, the place where my best friend, my sister passed away. Four years, two months, and six days since the call that changed everything.

 I take a step further onto the thick ice sheet, if only it was this thick four years ago. 

Her name was Annabelle. I always called her Annie, even though she resented the nickname, and in return I was titled Prune. When we were younger she couldn't pronounce June and I became Prune. 

As I stop myself from venturing out any farther, I take in the beautiful night sky. The moon is almost full, hanging amidst the stars and the bridge curving over the lake glows from it’s bright lights. I bend down and place my younger sister’s favorite flowers down on the freezing ice. Lilies always made her smile. I remember, as kids when we would go canoeing on our own, we would reach for the water lilies, almost tipping over the boat. After, we'd bring them home to our parents. Back then everything seemed so innocent and we never gave any second thought. Now, everything has changed, everything is different, and everything feels so lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment