Tuesday, August 25, 2015

A Tangled Mess

As we grow up we continue to learn. We'd like to think that the most we take in would be sitting in a lecture hall, memorizing psychological disorders and symptoms. We absorb and purge information so easily as we mature, but what does it even mean? In all reality, the most information we actually absorb is within the first few years of life. We learn to speak and communicate, from there we are simply adding complexities to the foundation already built. But when did the added complexities become overwhelming? When did they begin to mandate our minds, mesmerize our memories, and manipulate our morale? Our feelings grow, but as opposed to straight parallel lines, they become spider webs - catching our thoughts and wrapping them into a tangled mess. I may know the definition of Tardive Dyskinesia; A neurological disorder marked by chronic tremors and involuntary spastic movements, but that doesn't make me smart. You're smart if you can identify your own emotions. When I clench my teeth, I'm sad. When my hands shake, I'm nervous. When my mind wanders endlessly, I'm usually falling in or out of love. We learn at an early age, but we remember the latter. So when we are able to differentiate each emotion and separate the webs, which is rare, maybe thats what makes us intelligent. Although, I must admit when the feelings intertwine and each strand falls into place, sometimes the mess isn't so bad. Are the right messes worth the lack of intelligence? Are emotions worth losing our minds over?

No comments:

Post a Comment