Thursday, March 26, 2015

Possibilities and Belonging

I've been thinking a lot recently about my future and where it'll lead. In philosophy we learn of the Principle of Alternative Possibilities (Frankfurt). A brief summary, simply put, is that people have various forks in the road they may take, however there only ends up being one road we follow. This is where the controversy of freewill and determinism arise. Do I have the choice to choose the path I'm on or is it designed? Aside from the debacle that the philosophy community undergoes in regards to this principle, I've reached my own conclusion -- it doesn't matter. Now I'm not saying this out of laziness or for the hopes of my will being free, I say this because something terrifying gives way when our alternatives are visioned. To me, the scariest thing in the world is wondering if you're where you should be. This thought brings confusion, frustration, and all the other possibilities pile into your head. Am I where I should be? It echoes through my head quite often. The reason behind it's terror is simple, we were born to be where we are now, whether it was predestined or not. We are here now. We exist in this moment. Alone. Why make it worse than it has to be? Why question it? I belong on the path I've paved and so do you. Let yourself belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment