Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Are You There God, It's me..?

Who are we? How do we know? I think the answer is we don't, we never will. Figuring it out is difficult, and sometimes it's frustrating. Sometimes I feel like there are signs that help, but most of the time it's just a confusing mess. I'm a confusing mess, which in one sense defines me but in another makes everything more complex. Physically, it's obvious who I am, but in a deeper meaning everything falls apart. Another problem is words aren't just words, there's so many branches making a word too bare. These words we use; outgoing, adventurous, thoughtful, bland, dull, are all just words that describe our personalities. Each one like a leaf on a tree in autumn, so fragile and weak - so how can they support the definition of who we are? I'm told that I am emotional and shy, but sometimes I talk to strangers, sometimes I hold back tears. If there are discrepancies in something as basic as a word, there must be exceptions in defining a person, so who am I? Maybe Margaret had it right (Judy Blume Reference)? Maybe there is an all powerful being that can determine who we are for us. We're just an individual in a sea of broken down, decomposing leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment